Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Week Fifteen - November 2, 2014


This week has been great!  Full of a lot of fun and crazy things!  

I hope all is well and everything is good back at home.  I love you and pray for you everyday.  Thank you for all the prayers on my behalf.  I am learning a lot everyday. 


Elder Jung Lee Hyun, in the back
Meal Time
My little fact about Korea this week is about the trash. They don't really have trash cans around here.  Ha They are pretty hard to find.  Most the time it's just garbage sacks from other people on the sides of the streets.  The smells can get horrible.  Like sometimes every thirty seconds you smell nothing but straight throw up.. haha   Also, they don't do disposal sinks, so the food you don't eat or the just all food goes into a "food trash."  Me and my companion put it in a sack and freeze it so it doesn't get stinky.  Koreans have like 6 different ways to throw away stuff.  They sort everything.  It's crazy!! 



Well, at the beginning of this week, I was kinda going through a little trial.  I was really frustrated, and I felt like everything I know just wasn't coming to me.  The language, the Gospel, etc.  I was getting frustrated, and I wasn't feeling the spirit very strongly.  That might sound a little weird, but I just needed to feel more of God's love and to know everything was okay and that I was going through that time for a reason.  It was to strengthen me and to help shape me into a better missionary.  I spent a lot of time praying and asking to have the things I knew come back to me and that I would be able to feel more of His love and power.

Well, last P day I tried printing out a talk by Elder Holland called, "Lord, I Believe."  At the time, the printer was broken and it wouldn't print. It was unfortunate. 

As the week went on, I think it was Wednesday that we had a lesson with one of our new investigators (I'll tell you about in just a sec) and after our lesson I looked on the counter and my talk was there!  I was so excited.  It just randomly showed up.  It was a miracle!  I studied the talk the next morning, and I have really gotten a lot from it.  It talks about how we need to focus on what we know and to wait for additional knowledge to come.  I started thinking and that's exactly what I wasn't doing. I  was focusing on what I didn't know, and I realized I can't do that.  I have to focus on what I know and to build off of that and to wait for additional knowledge to come.  There is a lot to learn, and I am grateful for each day on my mission because it's a new day to learn and grow and feel the spirit.  The talk also talks about faith.  It tell us that it's not the size of our faith that matters, but it's what we do with the faith we have.  I can't remember exactly how he said it, but it really hit me.  I learned a lot from it.  If you have time, I would read it.  You can learn a lot from it!


 (Click on the link above to see a short part of the address Elder Johnson is referring to.   At the side, you may also click to read or see the entire address.)

This week was Halloween!  We had a great outcome from our party.  It turned out really well.  It was fun to talk to all the members and to see everyone and their costumes.  We ended up getting a lot of referrals from it, so we are excited to call them and set appointments up to meet them.
 As I said earlier, we have this new investigator whose name is (  김경진).  He is a college student.  He is so cool.  He is very good at English, and he is moving in two weeks to Seoul for two years to graduate from this nice college.  He is planning on going to America to become a doctor.  He is super cool!  Every time we meet, he brings us so much food haha.  It's great.  He is super nice.  For about 20 minutes before every lesson, we teach him English.  This week, we have really been trying hard to help him know that there is a God and that we can feel His love through prayer.  I spent the whole time basically at the Halloween party helping him and teaching him about the Gospel.  He is so funny.  He always asks us to tell us more about our, "Theory." (gospel.) hah  He's awesome!  I hope he continues to progress.  I am sad because he is leaving so soon, but we hope we can do all we can to help him see the importance in life.



I am grateful for the chance I have to serve the Lord everyday.  I have a desire to study the scriptures and the doctrine of Christ.  I am learning a lot.  I love the gospel, and I want everyone to know that they can gain their own personal witness.  The one thing that is different about our church than any other is that we are all personal witnesses of God's love. We believe because we have seen the hand of the Lord in our lives.  It's my responsibility in helping others see that.
Elder Johnson's pleasant surprise: 
"An unexpected surprise to see a familiar face from  home 
just show up in your ward for church in Gwanju, Korea 
Brother Johnson and son Brigham" 

I love my family and am grateful for your support.  Hope all is well.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  I love you!   Have a good week. 

Elder Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment